The thing about this is that sculptures like these in art history were for the male gaze. Photoshop a phone to it and suddenly she’s seen as vain and conceited. That’s why I’m 100% for selfie culture because apparently men can gawk at women but when we realize how beautiful we are we’re suddenly full of ourselves…
Reminds me of this quote from John Berger:
"You painted a naked woman because you enjoyed looking at her, put a mirror in her hand and you called the painting “Vanity,” thus morally condemning the woman whose nakedness you had depicted for you own pleasure."
That’s the nicest thing I’ve seen today.
imagine being that one guy who broke an 11 hour kindness chain
Except that the person who broke it said, “No, I’d just like to pay for my own drink.” So the money from the person before them was still there. What happened to that $5, starbucks?
- 1: Were you born in spring, summer, autumn, or winter?
- 2: Did you play more with kids of the opposite sex or the same sex growing up?
- 3: Did you have a preschool boyfriend/girlfriend?
- 4: Favorite cartoon growing up?
- 5: Did you watch a lot of Disney Channel when you were younger?
- 6: Gender
- 7: Sexual/Romantic Orientation
- 8: Did you have any weird phases growing up?
- 9: At what age did kids at your school start dating?
- 10: Are you an Introvert or an Extrovert?
- 11: Dream Job
- 12: Dream Home
- 13: Do you want to get married?
- 14: Have kids?
- 15: Where do you see yourself in a year? 5 years? 10 years?
- Five Senses
- 16: 5 favorite foods?
- 17: 5 favorite songs?
- 18: 5 favorite smells?
- 19: 5 favorite textures/things to feel?
- 20: 5 places you want to see/visit?
- 21: Do you have any siblings?
- 22: Do you have a pet?
- 23: Relationship with parents?
- 24: Relationship with siblings?
- 25: Relationship with extended family?
- 26: Have you realized who your true friends are this year?
- 27: Has a friend ever mistreated you?
- 28: Why did your last friendship end?
- 29: Do you have a best friend?
- 30: Have you ever been jealous of a friend?
- 31: Are you currently in a romantic relationship? If you are not in a romantic relationship, are you interested in one?
- 32: Why did your last relationship end?
- 33: Have you ever been in love with someone who didn't love you back?
- 34: Ideal date?
- 35: Are you afraid of falling in love?
- 36: Are you afraid of bugs?
- 37: Heights?
- 38: Drowning?
- 39: Fire?
- 40: Death?
- 41: Do you fall asleep easily?
- 42: Are you a night or morning person?
- 43: Do you remember your dreams?
- 44: Do you share your dreams with others? What do they think of your dreams?
- 45: Do you find your dreams disturbing?
- Do you believe in...
- 46: Luck?
- 47: Love at first sight?
- 48: Fate?
- 49: God?
- 50: What do you think happens after death, or do you prefer to not think about that kind of thing?
In general, I think we need to move away from the premise that being a good person is a fixed immutable characteristic and shift towards seeing being good as a practice. And it is a practice that we carry out by engaging with our imperfections. We need to shift towards thinking that being a good person is like being a clean person. Being a clean person is something you maintain and work on every day.We don’t assume ‘I am a clean person therefore I don’t need to brush my teeth.’ When someone suggests to us that we have something stuck in our teeth we don’t say to them ‘What do you mean I have something stuck in my teeth—but I’m a clean person?!’
Jay Smooth in his TED speech “how I learned to stop worrying and love discussing race” (via tropicanastasia)
Jay Smooth almost always a reblog
Dude nailed it. We all need to work at being good. Even if we think we are.
This applies to so much(via seanbonner)
It hurts. Hearing a cute voice say such foul things. It makes me sad.. If you want make to me sad be a girl and swear..
shut the fuck up
To quote the great Amy Poehler, I don’t fucking care if you like it.
Normalize fat women’s bodies. Normalize public breastfeeding. Normalize home births and midwives and reproductive autonomy. Normalize body hair on women.
Reject the notion that women are to be regulated and controlled and pressured to conform to societal standards.
Fuck I’m walking downtown and I pass a group of guys staring at me and I think “great catcall time” but then one guy goes “you look like you could kill a man a million different ways with just your bare hands”. This. This is an acceptable comment to give a girl on the street.
no but bi harry deliberately fucking with ron like they’re at christmas dinner or w/e and harry just goes “you know ron i’m in love with your sister and everything but if bill was single…goddamn. i’d go there”
bill winks across the table at harry
"GODDAMN IT YOU CAN’T TAKE ALL MY SIBLINGS, HARRY."
"Don’t worry, Ron, you can keep Percy."
YOU CAN KEEP PERCY
So my cousin was in a gay pride parade and everything in her outfit and makeup was rainbow but she was wearing red contacts and while marching, a protester behind her yelled “You’re going straight to hell” and she turns around to face him with her fuCKING blood red eyes and she says “well duh, I got a kindom to run” and the protester nearly fucking passed out that is her legacy I want to be like her
↳ N → nice try…but no
"It’s the age of celebrity. It’s the age of social media. But for we old school girls who don’t want to show up at every single event just ‘cause… I don’t tweet–I have nothing to say. I’m not on Facebook. I mean it sounds like I have plenty to say, but that’s to people who I’m in a room with. I’m not that interesting, and the rest is none of your business." - Gina Torres